Saturday 28 January 2012

G'day

With this blog, I aim to create a tutorial on designing a relational database for storing horse racing data.

I will be using open source software for the database and also Python to connect to the database and manipulate the data. I will explain basic SQL, and how to write scripts in Python to extract data from free websites to populate your database.

As there's no point in storing the data unless you are going to use it, I will also show you how to run queries to generate reports or test system ideas.

I hope it will be of some interest and useful. Even if you are not a programmer and have no wish to learn, I think knowing what is possible should be helpful if you employ a coder to write your software for you.

Cheers

4 comments:

  1. Howdy

    I've been thinking about doing this for years - I hope you're going to continue???

    I've got a very basic knowledge of how it works but need to learn much more to make it worthwhile.

    I play around a bit with time based ratings and they show promise but working full time makes it hard to find the time needed to make it really worthwhile. I need to automate things as much as possible.

    Anyways - hope you continue

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    This is something I have been interested in for some time. I love racing as a hobby and wouldn't mind creating my own database. It would be great if you could give an overview of the basic SQL needed and scripts in python required for manipulating the data.

    I really hope there is more to come.

    Fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you still continue on this subject?

    ReplyDelete
  4. im working on something very interesting should you still interested in this field

    ReplyDelete